Rashtrapati BhavanDescription :
Rashtrapati Bhavan is the official residence of the President of India. It was designed by Edwin Lutyens in 1912. The Bhavan was designed to be built as a residence for the British Governor General when plans to build a new city, New Delhi adjacent to and south of Old Delhi were drawn.
Quli Khan’s Tomb
Quli Khan’s TombDescription :
The tomb belongs to Mohammad Quli Khan, a general of Akbar’s army. Not much is know about Quli Khan except that he was the son of Maham Anga, who was the foster mother of Akbar. The structure was built in the early part of 17th century. The tomb stands on a high platform and is approached by a flight of stairs. Its is octagonal on outside and square on inside has intricately beautiful blue and red tile work.Address :
Jantar MantarDescription :
Jantar Mantar, also called as Delhi Observatory, is a masterpiece of Indian architecture and displays the scientific acumen of ancient India. It was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II of Jaipur, in 1710 as he was given the task of revising the calendar and astronomical tables by the Mughal emperor Muhammad Shah.
Chaumchi Khan’s Tomb
Chaumchi Khan’s TombDescription :
This is a tomb presumed to be of an unknown noble man called Chaumachi Khan.The area was encroached with no proper access to the tomb before the Delhi Department Of Archeology along with INTACH took it over and completed the conservation work in 2015.Address :
Nai Basti, Mehrauli, New Delhi, Delhi 110016
- Mosque, Baoli and Water Channel, Vasant Vihar, DDA Park
Qutub MinarDescription :
The Qutub Minar was begun by Qutbu'd-Din Aibak, in around 1202 and completed by his successor, Muhammad-bin-Sam. The red sandstone tower of Qutub Minar is 72.5 m high, tapering from 2.75 m in diameter at its peak to 14.32 m at its base, and alternating angular and rounded flutings. Qutub Minar is a World Heritage Site and has survived the ravages of time impressively.
Tomb, R.K.PuramDescription :
The tomb of unknown person is built right near Bijri Khan's Tomb at R.K.Puram,Sector-III. The tomb was built during the Lodhi era ( 15th century) with rubblemasonry. It has a dome and slopping walls and contains doorways on three sides and mihrab on western side.Address :
Mirza Ghalib's Haveli
Mirza Ghalib's HaveliDescription :
The Haveli of Mirza Ghalib has been restored and conserved aesthetically to its original form. A memorial museum has been set up at the site which showcases various facets of Ghalib’s life. The site was inaugurated and opened to the public on the birth anniversary of Mirza Ghalib (27-12-2000). The memorial is opened to the public on all days from 10 AM - 5 PM except on Mondays and public holidays.Address :
Gali Qasim Jaan, Ballimaran, Delhi.Timings :
10 AM to 5 PM
Humayun's TombDescription :
The tomb of Humayun, second Mughal Emperor of India, was built by his widow, Biga Begum (Hajji Begum), in 1569-70, 14 years after his death. Mirak Mirza Ghiyath, a Persian architect designed the tomb. It was later used for the burial of various members of the ruling family and contains some 150 graves.
Munda GumbadDescription :
Munda Gumbad is a ruined pavilion which stands on the boundary of the Hauz Khas lake. Its dome and the first storey has eroded with time and is now completely missing hence the name. The structure is on a raised square platform, with flight of steps on four sides and arched doorways on all the sides leading to the second storey.Address :
Hauz Khas Tank, Hauz Khas, New Delhi
Mutiny MemorialDescription :
In 1870, a Mutiny Memorial was erected on the Ridge outside the Red Fort in memory of the officers and men who died during the 1857 Rebellion. Octagonal at base, the tower has four tiers and is made with red sandstone in Gothic Style.
Gol GumbadDescription :
Gol Gumbad (dome) is a tomb belonging to the Lodhi Period. Like other Lodhi period tombs, it has a square plan with a dome on top. The structure was long forgotten before INTACH started the conservation work here. By 2010, the tomb got a new look and night-time illumination, which has made this a monument a must see in Delhi.Address :
T-395/2D, Dildar Nagar, Lodhi Rd, Nizamuddin West, New Delhi 110013
Maqbara PaikDescription :
Maqbara Paik — literally means the messenger's mausoleum. The name of the messenger is not known but it could have been an important messenger given that a tomb for built for him during the Lodhi period. The octagonal tomb is a very tall structure, with arched recess on each of its eight sides and is surmounted by a flat dome which rises from a high octagonal drum. The monument was restored and a small park built around it in 2010.Address :
Maqbara Paik, Bhalswa Jahangirpuri, New Delhi 110033
Bara Lao Ka Gumbad and Baradari
Bara Lao Ka Gumbad and BaradariDescription :
The of Bara Lao Ka Gumbad (dome) and the Baradari (pavillion) are inside the DDA Park, Vasant Vihar. The structures belong to the Lodi period. The tomb stands on a high terrace, to the west of which is a battlement wall mosque containing 15 mihrab recesses. The tomb which is a square in plan has arched entrances on the north, south and east while on the west there is a mihrab. The interior is decorated with inscriptions and incised plaster work.Address :
Vasant Vihar, New Delhi, Delhi 110070
India GateDescription :
Designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, the foundation stone of this magnanimous structure was laid by the Duke of the Connaught in 1921 and dedicated to the nation in 1931 by the then Viceroy, Lord Irwin. The monument was inspired by the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, which in turn was inspired by the Roman Arch of Titus.
Phuta GumbadDescription :
The monument, right next to Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, is assumed to date back to the Tughlak period and the person who tomb is it was mostly a courtier of Ferozshah Tughlak. The structure is of a square plan with arched entrances on three sides and a mihrab recess on the fourth. The dome is on an eight sided drum.Address :
Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Pragati Vihar, New Delhi, Delhi
Tomb and Baradari
Tomb and BaradariDescription :
The tomb is a domed structure of Lodhi period (15th Century) situated in the center of the residential colony. It has arched entrance on the north, south and east while on the west there is a mihrab. The baradari is an arched hall having seven bays from north to south believed to be of Tughlaq period (14th Century). Both the monuments were repaired and restored in 2014-15.Address :
Sadhna Enclave, Panchsheel Park, New Delhi-17
Gateways of Sarai Badarpur
Gateways of Sarai BadarpurDescription :
The three gateways — northern, southern and central — are located one after the other and visible in a straight line in the central market of Badarpur. The gateways used to be part of a sarai (rest house) for travelers in the 18th century, who would go on the Delhi-Agra route. The inn no longer exists, but these three gateways along the central road through the Badarpur market reminds one of the old times.
Turkman GateDescription :
Turkman Gate is one of the four surviving gates of Delhi. Old Delhi once had 14 gateways, each gate was named for the direction it faced except Turkman Gate. This gate is named after the Sufi saint Hazrat Shah Turkman Bayabani who lived in the 13th century. The gate is also remembered for the demolition and rioting of 1976 during the Emergency.Address :
Turkman Gate, Asaf Ali Road, Delhi
Dwarka BaoliDescription :
Dwarka Baoli (stepwell) in Sec-12 is a historical stepwell which was discovered in 2011 in the busy area of Dwarka sector 12 in south west Delhi. It was constructed for the residents of the then village by the Lodi king in the early 16th century. The Baoli has been restored by the Delhi State archaeological department and INTACH Delhi.Address :
Sector 12, Dwarka, Delhi
Bijri Khan's Tomb
Bijri Khan's TombDescription :
It is believed that Bijri Khan was a noble man under one of the Lodhi kings and this is his mausoleum. Like other Lodhi period tombs, it has a square platform, a dome on top and three arched doorways. This massive and beautiful structure underwent repair and conservation process during the 2010 Commonwealth games.Address :
Sri Venkateshwara Mandir Marg, Sector 3, RK Puram, New Delhi - 110022
Tomb, Katwaria Sarai
Tomb, Katwaria Sarai
Sansad BhavanDescription :
Originally called the House of Parliament, Sansad Bhavan was designed by British Architects Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker in 1912-13. The building is circular in shape based on the Ashoka Chakra. The dome of the Central Hall of the Parliament is 98 ft. in diameter and is one of the most magnificent domes in the world.
Red FortDescription :
The Red Fort represented the pinnacle of Mughal palace-fort building, and symbolized political and economic power. It was also perhaps the most extravagant and sophisticated theatre ever built for daily performances of one of the world's most dazzlingly grand courts.
Chandni ChowkDescription :
Chandni Chowk, meaning moonlight square, is one of the oldest and busiest markets in Delhi. It remains one of India’s largest wholesale market. It was once divided by canals (now closed) to reflect moonlight and that is how it derived its name.
Jharna, Mehrauli Archaeological Park
Jharna, Mehrauli Archaeological ParkDescription :
Built during the Mughal period, the Jharna (waterfall) is located behind the Qutub Minar complex in Mehrauli Archaeological Park. The Jharna was created from the drainage of surplus water from Hauz-e-Shamsi, a water reservoir, and it used to flow till the Qutub Minar. In 2014-15, restoration work by INTACH and the Delhi Government restored the Jharna close to how it was during its old glory days.
Baoli, Mosque and Four walls of an enclosed garden, Lodhi Garden
Baoli, Mosque and Four walls of an enclosed garden, Lodhi GardenDescription :
Lodhi Gardens, the famous picnic spot and a morning walk park with lush greenery has many famous monuments from Lodhi and Sayyid period. The lesser known historical monuments like - a garden, the four walls of which were brick built and broken in many place, an entrance to this garden which is a double storeyed structure, a mosque which is to the south of the entrance and a baoli which was filled and closed - all these have been restored by INTACH along with the Dept. of Archeology, Delhi.Address :
Lodhi Gardens, Delhi
Jama MasjidDescription :
Jama Masjid is also called the Friday congregational mosque because Muslims turn up in large numbers to offer Namaz on Fridays. ‘Masjid-i-Jahan Numa’ popularly called as Jama Masjid, means the mosque commanding a view of the world. The mosque is a real example of great architecture that existed during the Mughal period.
Darvesh Shah’s mosque
Darvesh Shah’s mosqueDescription :
Darvesh Shah’s mosque built during the Lodhi period is in DDA park. It is a walled mosque on a raised platform, has seven mehrab recesses, raised battlements and flanking minarets. Probably Darvesh Shah was a revered man during the Lodhi times, as there are several graves in the courtyard believed to be his and his descendants. INTACH was responsible for repairing the mosque and area around it prior to the 2010 Commonwealth Games.Address :
Gulmohar Park, New Delhi, Delhi 110049
Guardhouses, Northern Ridge
Guardhouses, Northern RidgeDescription :
The Northern Ridge is spread over an area of 122 hectares and has many heritage monuments like the Ashoka Pillar, Mutiny Memorial, Chauburja Mosque and two Guard Houses. The guardhouses are on north and south of the Flagstaff tower, which played a crucial role in harboring the British and their families when rebels seized Delhi during the rebellion of 1857. The guardhouses are believed to be built before 1857.Address :
Kamla Nehru Ridge, Delhi 110054
Tomb at Greater Kailash I
Tomb at Greater Kailash IDescription :
The Lodhi period tomb of an unknown person stands on a mound about a height of 3.5m from the ground level around, in a public park in Greater Kailash. The tomb is of square plan and over the years has undergone modifications, all of which destroyed its history and original facade. Since the restoration work has been started by INTACH, the tomb is coming back to its original looks.Address :
N Block, Greater Kailash, Delhi
Connaught PlaceDescription :
The market place was designed by Robert Tor Russell in collaboration with WH Nicholls. The structure consists of three concentric circles which went on to create the Inner Circle, Middle Circle and Outer Circle and seven radial roads around a circular central park.